Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The agile classroom...soft spaces allowed

Okay friends, so I have this idea that was presented to me as a "wild" idea from my amazing iPad coach +Brent Catlett (@catlett1) and I allowed the idea to roll around for about two weeks. Then I began my research.


My classroom to start with!


We were calling it the "soft space" classroom and in my research I found that most people called it an agile classroom. This idea consists of getting rid of all the "hard" surface items in my room and replaces them with "soft" spaces. So THAT means, no desks, or school chairs, and bring in couches, love seats, recliners, bean bags, bar stools, etc!

The beginning of my agile classroom!


WHAT?? No desks? Are you crazy? Well, crazy enough! I began trolling the free section of Craigslist.org and volia! in one weekend, I have enough to get me started on this agile classroom. There are a few things that I tried to think about that would be considered CONS for this idea. One: what about germs/lice etc? Well, get leather, pleather, and vinyl. CHECK! Two: what about the kids that need personal space and a "spot" like Sheldon Cooper from Big Bang Theory? Well, I polled the kids and explained the idea and asked them who wanted to keep their space. I had about 1/3 of the class that did. So I kept those desks and added a couple blank ones to act as "coffee side tables" where some kids could sit to have private space. CHECK! Three: What about name tags for when a sub comes in? Good point, well, going to have to have name tags like when we were in kindergarten, unless someone has a better idea (I am willing to listen)! CHECK!

I am sure there are several more that I have not even begun to consider, and as they arise I will address them.  I am hunting and searching for more leather, pleather and vinyl and ever expanding! The students LOVE it! It has been amazing. I welcome any questions as I process this!



8 comments:

  1. Love to have you follow me on Twitter for more exciting updates...@boycem3
    and see what my kids have to say about the new classroom....http://kidblog.org/Boycetown2013-14/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got rid of my desks this year and had tables brought in. I gave up my desk in the fall and hauled in an ugly, but comfortable rocker/recliner. My computer sits on a pleather ottoman and my teacher stuff is on an end table from my attic. My kids keep their stuff in milk crates and park them next to their table spots or wherever they decide to work. I have made it a personal mission to collect or horde, mismatched table lamps, and bookshelves.
    I love your ideas and am planning on stealing most of them! ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gina, I love the table idea, but I intend to add a pub like table around the bar stools, and a coffee table in the midst of the couches. I do have one six foot table I kept, and I am applying for a grant to buy some collapsable/foldup tables that I can pop up at a moments notice. I love the idea of a crate to put their stuff in. Had not thought of that. One blog I followed is Tim Bedley. He uses those plastic drawer bins. I liked that idea too! maybe with the grant $$$. Here is his post: http://timbedley.com/blog13/2013/01/07/my-unusual-elementary-classroom/

      I will tell you Craigslist.org has been a godsend. I have been trolling through the "free" section but then I also created a well worded plea (pasted below) that I emailed to all kinds of people who were selling furniture. I am surprised and thrilled that I am getting such a great response from this more than the "free" section! I really am targeting leather for hygiene reasons. I am loving every part of it so far! Thanks for stealing the ideas, the more we can create a great learning environment for the kids, the more learning that is happening!!

      here is that "well worded plea" (I know this is strange and seemingly presumptuous since you just posted this ad, but I wanted to throw out there an offer. I am a school teacher for Bellevue and I am running a trial idea in my classroom. We are getting rid of all of our hard surface desks and chairs and converting to couches, chairs, and such. I would appreciate if you cannot sell this leather couch for what you were asking, that you would consider donating it to my class. I will be happy to pick it up whenever. Again, I hope that you can sell it for what you are asking. But in case you don't, I hope you will keep us in mind. Thank you for your time and consideration.)

      Delete
  3. I love this idea! I'm sure your kids are more comfortable and enjoy the flexibility of this classroom set-up! I can't wait to see how this changes as you try out different things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brittany! I am loving it. I know I am only two days in, but there is a buncha love coming from this teacher! And the students love it too!

      Delete
  4. Love this Michelle! What a great way to transform your classroom into a fantastic learning environment. You have given me plenty of wonderful ideas for my classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for you sweet comments Monica! I am so glad you got some good ideas. My students love this...(and me!) It hasn't hurt classroom behavior either! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds wonderful. I can't wait to see how your room looks in the next few weeks. It makes me want some soft surfaces in my classroom too! Great way to follow up on an idea that will benefit your students.

    ReplyDelete