Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The agile classroom...soft spaces allowed

Okay friends, so I have this idea that was presented to me as a "wild" idea from my amazing iPad coach +Brent Catlett (@catlett1) and I allowed the idea to roll around for about two weeks. Then I began my research.


My classroom to start with!


We were calling it the "soft space" classroom and in my research I found that most people called it an agile classroom. This idea consists of getting rid of all the "hard" surface items in my room and replaces them with "soft" spaces. So THAT means, no desks, or school chairs, and bring in couches, love seats, recliners, bean bags, bar stools, etc!

The beginning of my agile classroom!


WHAT?? No desks? Are you crazy? Well, crazy enough! I began trolling the free section of Craigslist.org and volia! in one weekend, I have enough to get me started on this agile classroom. There are a few things that I tried to think about that would be considered CONS for this idea. One: what about germs/lice etc? Well, get leather, pleather, and vinyl. CHECK! Two: what about the kids that need personal space and a "spot" like Sheldon Cooper from Big Bang Theory? Well, I polled the kids and explained the idea and asked them who wanted to keep their space. I had about 1/3 of the class that did. So I kept those desks and added a couple blank ones to act as "coffee side tables" where some kids could sit to have private space. CHECK! Three: What about name tags for when a sub comes in? Good point, well, going to have to have name tags like when we were in kindergarten, unless someone has a better idea (I am willing to listen)! CHECK!

I am sure there are several more that I have not even begun to consider, and as they arise I will address them.  I am hunting and searching for more leather, pleather and vinyl and ever expanding! The students LOVE it! It has been amazing. I welcome any questions as I process this!