Search This Blog

Friday, February 28, 2014

To listen or not to listen....that is the question!

I have always been one to listen to background noise when I was growing up studying, although I know it is not for everyone. For some, the background noise is a distraction. For me the distraction was the dead silence...chirp chirp.

I need something. If what I am working on is super important then I will listen to music without words. I gave the students the same choice a few weeks ago, and I have found it to be extremely beneficial. I use the iTunes Radio, I do not let them use the featured stations, but added our own. The students requested some stations, and I gave them a listen (if I didn't know them) and added them. They listen for a month at a time, and at the beginning of the month I will delete the radio stations and take new requests. I will leave the ones that they love (like the Frozen Radio Station)...the top station in my room!

We are coming up to the beginning of the month and I have a long list of "must leave on the list" radio stations! They don't know it yet, but I will be adding an irish station in honor of St. Patrick's Day! We just shared our idea with the second graders, and we hope they get as much enjoyment out of it as we do during our work time.

For those friends who can't work with the music, then they just put on their headphones, and listen to the sweet sweet silence. It has made everyone happy.


3 comments:

  1. I like the idea of playlists! I have always let my students listen to music, especially while writing. Headphones are required because I don't want it to distract those learners that need the quiet. I wish more teachers would do this! I hate silence when I am working too. I hear every buzz and noise. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So if I understand correctly the kids that don't want to listen put on headphones, other wise you are all listening to the same station. Do you have the stations on student iPads, if yes which apple ID do you use..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Hauff,

    All of my students have a music app on their iPads. I use my schools apple ID for all the iPads in my room. I load (add) the stations in iTunes Radio and those are the stations they can listen to. I also listen to some quiet instrumental music off my computer (on the same station choices as my students). The students that prefer quiet can just put their headphones on and not listen to music. I will say that I have talked with my students and all 21 of them listen to the music stations, since they all have choice, they find the ones they like. I hope that answers your questions. If not, let me know, I would love to talk again.

    ReplyDelete